PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Me109 question
Thread: Me109 question
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2005, 05:59
JDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a look at a pic of the prototype Hurricane?

Struts. And a retractable tailwheel. Interesting changes for production. Lost the struts (good) and the retract (and add an underfin).

Kolibear is correct speaking as an engineer, but the stick thingies under the tailplane of the Me109, Hurricane prototype, Walrus etc. etc. are usually called struts, not ties. I think we defer to useage rather than engineering accuracy.

'Me' vs 'Bf'. Upto 109G should be 'Bf': During the 109G production it changed to 'Me'. (My understanding.) Bear in mind that Messerschmitt was IIRC the only manufacturer who din't have the 'maker-initials-number' setup of the RLM; you can understand everyone in general and enemy use then, and now forcing the term to 'fit'. As Willy was such a politician, I'm sure he had a hand in fudging it too.

Messerschmitt structures. The back end of the 109 was based on the 108 concept - it's not just war films that mix the two up! As the 108 had struts, I'm wondering if that was a design carryover? Bit of a poor effort by Willy either way. The segmented pressed half chunks was a brilliant piece of design though.

Also, unlike RJ Mitchell, he did design the 109 to be built by a factory. Without Joe Smith of Supermarine redesigning the Spitfire for production, rather than handbuilding (something RJ unacountably overlooked) the Spitfire wouldn't have been in with a shout for the gloryhunting.

And n'th level of BoBF triv - the struts on the Buchons are dummy (of course) as the Buchon is a 109G with a Merlin - no struts on the G - so they didn't need them on the 'Hurryons' or 'Buchaines' anyway - just a lack of time to mess about taking them off the 'Messerschmitt Bf109Es' they were 'acting'. Funny they painted them in RAF colours then worked hard to stop people taking pics. There's lots of related facts at: Falcons109Lair

Cheers!