PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 off the runway at LBA
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2005, 05:55
poorwanderingwun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't quote specifics but many airlines based in 3rd world countries are prevented from flying to countries that operate to ICAO standards... I believe that the current number is 15 or thereabouts. The ban is not directed specifically at the airline, it's more to do with the fact that those countries do not have any adequate proceedure in place for overseeing the operations of airlines based in the country.... ie. no adequately functioning equivilant of our CAA or FAA. The list is, I think, available on an ICAO web-site.

The ban however is not compulsory and an individual EEC state can choose to ignore it, Belgium for eg. allows the DR Congo airline Hewa Bora to operate their pax carrying Tri-Star into Brussels.

In addition to the above countries there are a number of airlines which through some incident/accident or have been banned specifically from an EEC state....again it's up to the other EEC countries to choose for themselves whether they allow that operator access to their airports.