PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Pacific
Thread: Air Pacific
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2005, 07:10
VH-WASA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toolongaloafer

I had about 11 or so months with Air Pacific just after the collapse of Ansett. I was looking forward so much to work in Feejee as I love the Pacific Islands and have worked round the Pacific before, building my hours.
I found working there was a very uncomfortable atmosphere with the low maintenance standards, the corruption that filters down from as high as the government, the racial bitterness that is a part of every day life, and worst of all the hatred towards the contract pilots from the local pilots whether they be ethnic, white or Indian Fijian. There is absolutely no discipline within the Airline due to weak management which leads to low standards and very poor CRM. Because of this, I found the working environment very difficult especially after working for an Airline with very high standards. I must say their would be a hand full of local pilots on the 747 who are very professional and treat you with respect but most of the hatred is from the local pilots on the 737, 767.
Alot of these local pilots have relatives or friends in government and are always bitching about how contract pilots are taking away pilot jobs for locals. They write letters to the local newspapper, and to the Dept. of Immigration objecting to having contract pilots employed in Fiji. I believe some time ago, the pilots union actually wrote letters to the Australian and New Zealand Tax departments giving the names of all expatriate contract pilots working for Air Pacific, thats how treacherous they are. You will find that just about all of these local pilots have dual citizenship or residency of another country with property in Australia and New Zealand. Would love the tax people to audit them all. When they get some experience they show their other passports alright whilst stabbing you in the back, find a flying job in your country for your airline then when they meet up with you again sometime in the future, they treat you like a long lost friend. Very short memories.
Anyway I've had enough bitching for now. I didn't leave on a bad note but decided to get out while I was ahead and before things really got to me. Working in Asia is much more pleasant and relaxing.
So nice to get away from that Rishworth contract too which makes the job a little harder knowing that you are being ripped off. I believe the contract is still exactly the same now as it was then.

Last edited by VH-WASA; 23rd May 2005 at 04:48.