PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The new easyjet rosters
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2005, 19:34
TRon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked 4 on 4 off shift work and that was 12 hour shifts nights and days. I hated it.

What we have to remember is quite a few of our days are not 12 hours long and our work is far more variable than 4 on 4 off shift work which is a steady stream of work, when the whistle goes you can go a la Fred Flintsone!

Whilst I can see its benefits for us, I just cant se ehow it would work. There needs to be a compromise and this is what I feel 5/2/5/4 is and I must say for me it is working.

I know the leave issue is far from ideal but we are not what one could call a 'mature' airline and I know it is an area that needs addressing as it is a subject very close to many of our hearts.

The way I see it I finish most of the time on a 2 sector at the end of my 5 earlies. That means I can go out that night and for the next 2 nights if I choose as I start on a 'late' on the next 5. Then I get 4 days off as opposed to three on the previous roster. All in all in each block of 5 I can go out for 3 days if I choose. I find it far more social and most of the captains I fly with are saying they are seeing their children a lot more..I am seeing a lot more of the golf course!!

I dont think any companies rosters are perfect, this is far from it, but I feel that it is a great compromise which is what life is all about and I am less tired than I was. I would not want random rostering for sure...and lets not forget it beats clock watching in an office with grey skies all day eh?