PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The real dangers of Black Night VFR.
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2005, 11:41
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts
Having never flown Rotary wing (except for a Huey Cobra simulator at a military base in Japan, but that's another story)
I can only speak for fixed wing;
Back when I completed my CPL in 1985 a Night VMC as it was then known was a required part of the CPL; ie no night VMC, no CPL.
And when doing the training required for the Night VMC my then Instructor made it quite clear that there may be times when I may find myself in positions where although conditions may be 'VMC' there would be no moonlight, no lights from towns/settlements/anything on the ground and no discernable horizon. In short, (and the following is his words to me verbatim) "technically you will be totally dependent on instruments and therefore before I pass you as proficient to hold a Night VMC rating you will be capable of flying in those conditions"
However the first real 'black night' experience I had was after I gained a MECIFR so the NVMC training was never really put to the test.

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.