PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New routes for Bristols new extension
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2005, 10:46
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graham,

I hadn't realised that EDI was down to five in winter. 75,000 annual pax would be more understandable in the context of a reduced winter service from BRS.

SJD and terrier,

I remember on one of my US trips my wife and I arrived at a motel one evening. We began talking to some Americans staying there who said, "You must meet (forget her name). She comes from England originally, from somewhere near Bath."

Their friend duly appeared and whilst we were wondering if her original home was Bradford-on-Avon, Trowbridge or Midsomer Norton she introduced herself. She said, "I come from Bristol but no-one here as heard of it so I say it's near Bath."

Bristol reckons it is the seventh most popular UK destination for overseas visitors, so perhaps some Americans have found their way to the home city of Archibald Alexander Leach after all.

Americans do seem to have a blind spot though where anything outside their country is concerned. On another occasion we were in the USA at the time of the huge Manchester bomb. The national US tv news network we tuned into began the story with a caption headed ‘London Bombing’. The reporter then told viewers that, “In the north west English city of Manchester, two hundred miles from London ……..”

About fifteen years ago there was a suggestion (I think by the then Bath City Council) to re-name the airport Bristol and Bath Airport to attract the American market. The then owners, Bristol City Council, were not especially pleased at the idea, to put it mildly.

nclairportfan,

Air Southwest are advertising the BRS-EWR service on their website, pointing out the convenient flight times of their services from PLH and NQY to connect at BRS. Not sure how CO would view a codeshare though.