Thread: Dutch Roll
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2005, 09:25
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Smokey wrote
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legend has it that one of the Boeing engineers working on the development of the B47... very similar to the new stability problem on the B47.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Laikim Liklik Susu:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Smokey is as close as anyone is going to get here.
DUTCH ROLL
The oracle being Google, of course!

The origins of the term Dutch Roll in aviation does indeed come about from an aerodynamicist working at Boeing on the B47.

The phenomena had been identified as early as 1941 as far as I can ascertain through investigation but was mearly lumped into lateral instability problems....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I humbly remind you that the DUTCH ROLL was already known in the DC-8, well before the B74 came into production, where a YAW DAMPER was already mounted.
I rember that during one of those many transition flights (zero flight time sims were in the dream of the bean counters) there was a trial of that system, consisting in the full deflection of the rudder, its sudden release, and the subsequent recovery, which took only a couple of cycles; and many more with pilot intervention