PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nothing changes ??
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2005, 10:23
flapsforty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olden, welcome.
While not quite as old as you I think, I too remember 'old times', though unlike you, I don't view them as generally easier.
Serving each individual tray by hand because there were no trollies wasn't easy.
Having to keep the drinks covered in ice 'cause there was no cooling wasn't easy and very messy with water all over the galley floor.
Trying to sleep in an upright chair aft in the smoking section of a 747 wasn't possible, let alone easy. Sleeping in an overhead crew rest is fantastic
Working with captains who considered themselves God wasn't easy nor fun. Captains these days are human, have learnt CRM and are generally easy to work with with.
Purser who believed themselves to be on board only to read the newspaper from Europe to Asia weren't easy. Pursers who work and add their expertise to solving problems make life easier.
Lack of an APU turned an Ac into a boiling drum on hot tarmac pretty fast. A running APU keeps things cool and pleasant for everyone.
Having to work until you were 6 months pregnant wasn't easy. Leave after 3 months is much easier and healthier.
Eating the pax' leftover food wasn't fun, getting your own is better.

Well, I could go on but I think you catch my drift. Some things were definitely better on the old days, many things are better now.
In the end, it's still a high skilled low paid job which isn't for everybody but which is the best job in the world for those who have the genes for it.