PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR going out to contract.
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2005, 08:08
freeride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab

As per usual you want to drag this down to "we're better than you" but you make many assumptions. Yes, we (that's the royal we as I didn't say I was SAR) don't do night mountains on NVG as we don't have them or the mountains! As far as I am aware only two RAF flights have what you could call mountains anyway. In my experience those that hark on about NVG mountains are those that have done the least of it.

As for the amount of checks, yes it does seem like the same amount but bear in mind that commercially the check will be done in the most expeditious manner and the IRT does not consist of unnecessary GH at 40 kts with SAS out! A base check is one trip, not a day sortie, night sortie and GH trip followed by a ground inquisition.

I fully agree that you provide a very good service but so do the civilian SAR operators and given the same resources would do more with less. You are no longer part of Tony's expeditionary forces, the Falklands could easily be done by Brintel and there you have it!