PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which are the best flying schools in the UK?
Old 19th May 2005, 18:54
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good on the moderator to intervene here!

To the wanabees I would say: THINK FOR YOURSELF! Do YOUR OWN research. Do not listen too much to FTOs' marketing hype. Get documentation on them, their programs, their organisation, their setup, their pass rates (at all levels). Do a selection based on that info - that means writing to them and getting their documentation. Visit those you feel may be more suited to YOUR OWN needs. Ask all relevant questions - don't be shy; if they want your money, they had better take the time to answer you. Talk to students and ex-students. Ask to see their planes/sims.

Assess whether integrated or modular would be better for you, and choose accordingly.

Oxford and Cabair are neither the best nor the worst FTOs in Blighty; I did some ATPL refreshers at Oxford and was impressed with the manuals and the feeback. I also did my MCC there and was very satisfied. But I think their facilities are below standard and their integrated courses are overpriced, bearing in mind the amount of actual flying done Stateside. Also, Oxford airport can be quite congested and you do spend a lot of time at the holding point.

Modular allows you to pick and choose your FTOs and to pay as you go (do not pay up front), therefore making them work hard for your next cheque. It's also cheaper; if you end up saving £15,000, that's nearly the price of a type rating after the frozen ATPL (not that it should come to that). Smaller FTOs don't make you feel like a number. As you guessed, I went modular, and if I had to restart my flight training all over again (God forbid), this is one decision I wouldn't change (I wouldn't change much, actually).

If, after you've done all that, you still feel that integrated is the best way to go for you, then fair enough; but at least, DO the damn research so you make an informed choice! Thinking for oneself is one of the most important attributes of a competent pilot.

Cheers