PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 off the runway at LBA
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2005, 14:22
WHBM

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Commenting on the commercial side of things.

Most prudent holiday makers, when booking, check to see who they are flying with. Usually the brochure has towards it's rear, the airline to be used on a particular flight plus the type of aircraft to be used.
Sammypilot:

Unfortunately you are only partially correct in this, by no means all holiday companies give information to this level of accuracy or truthfulness. Indeed, one of the principal reasons why they all go to the same destination on the same day (in this case, Fuerteventura on a Wednesday) is so they can chop and change as required by the loads booked.

It is also true that those holiday companies who use the less-mainstream carriers are also those who more commonly leave out the flight detail, and there must be some connection here.

In this case we have LTU, a German carrier, setting up a Spanish operation, LTE, who in turn seem to be out of capacity (not at a peak season time for Spain, one wonders where their fleet has gone) and they have subbed in from a Jordanian small-scale operator for a charter from a British tour operator. I challenge anyone to find any holiday tour brochure which explains such detail. I am reminded of the Birgenair 757 accident in the Dominican Republic some years ago which had a similar long chain of subcontracted responsibility.

This subcharter was not a one-off but has apparently been going on for LTE for some time. I wonder whose insurance the passengers were actually on.