PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holiday Insurance and Flying
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2005, 11:34
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to ressurect a quite old thread, but I've just been sorting out travel insurance for a flying trip to the USA and wanted to pass on my experience.

I tried the two companies mentioned above, but while both seemed quite reasonable, they were only able to offer an off-the-shelf fully inclusive package which covered just about everything in the world (pet cover ) and gave full flying cover for the duration of the trip. This more than doubled the total rate and worked out at nearly four times the rate of a basic policy (no baggage or money cover required as that's included in my household insurance).

In the end I bought a policy from travelinsurance.co.uk They allow cover for flying a light aircraft to be added onto any of their policies at a flat rate of GBP 3.43 per day (for the USA - less for Europe) - so I could get a very basic policy just covering medical expenses etc, and add flying cover just for the 4 days I'll be flying (out of a 10 day trip) at virtually negligable extra cost. You don't have to specify which days you'll be flying - they trust you to just fly the number of days you declare. Personal accident cover is excluded (i.e. compensation), but full medical cover and repatriation is included, which is the important bit.

Seemed a pretty good deal to me, so just thought I'd pass on the info. Hope there's no problem mentioning the company name here, as others have already been mentioned.

Oh, one point I found - if you're looking at policies from the 'big name' insurers, many offer flying cover at additional cost but only cover you as a pax in a private light aircraft, not as pilot, which seemed a bit odd. Not sure how they can say being the pilot is more dangerous really.