PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the difference between a flick (snap) roll and an incipient spin?
Old 18th May 2005, 11:48
Incipient Sinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I can help on this one, forgive me if I start with the basics.

In order for an aircraft to spin it must first have one of its wings in a fully stalled condition and the other at least partially flying. There are different ways of making this happen.

A flick manoeuvre is carried out by forcing a spin onto an aircraft that is otherwise flying quite happily; it is done at a relatively normal flying speed and the spin is induced by loading or rapidly slowing the wing in question. This manoeuvre puts stress on many areas of the aircraft in particular the tailboom area.

A regular spin, initiated at the stall or slow speed, is carried out by again slowing one wing more than the other, the rapid increase of drag on that wing at low speed then increases that tendency and the aircraft spins.

The other and more shocking way of spinning is when the outer wing in a turn stalls due to excess loading and AoA and the spin is initiated away from the direction of turn.

As for placards in aircraft, type certification will require some form of spinning test but that does not mean that an aircraft becomes cleared for intentional spinning (some gliders for istance where Vne could be exceeded on recovery or the recovery is difficult).

Spinning is a low stress manoeuvre (aircraft not mindframe) whereas flicking is usually high stress and less likely to be cleared.

The use of the terminology Incipient Spin is slightly contentious itself and often the term autorotation or just rotation is used to emphasise the difference between a wing drop which one just picks up (rudder not aileron) and the full blown spin which may only be called fully developed when the mode settles down after a few turns.