PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mas??!!
Thread: Mas??!!
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2005, 07:11
Brianigham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink My MAS.

Hi folks,

Lots have been said and is going to be said about this beautiful company MAS. I have been browsing this forum for years now, mostly reading the more technical post, picking up on a wealth of infomation and great tips from some great pilots out there.

I am all for, outright honest postings. An anonymous forum like this provides that platform. Its also very forgiving on the occasional outburst.

Dear Outlaw,
I hope this doesnt offend. The high school grades or college degree with a string of distinctions does not automatically make someone the best candidate for any job, including flying. I can understand your frustration at not getting in and seeing many guys you consider as high flyers not getting the cadet programme offered by Malaysia Airlines. Each and every company has got their own set of requirements and extras that they may be looking for in choosing hopefuls for cadet programmes.

Sometimes they "up the standards" when their demand is low and I am sure sometimes they lower the standards when they really need the guys in. But basically they know what they want. I believe MAS have done a great job in cadet selection. Many people I wrongly categorised as "not so smart" have proven me wrong with their great flair for aviation and the discipline, and professionalism displayed on the job. On the same note many who at first glance seemed to be from the "brighter lot" have also been somewhat disappointing. And I am sure many guys out there who could have been great aviators are slowly accepting the fact that they will never do any flying because they missed out on an opportunity like this. Different companies have different requirements. Look around for other airlines. Try Air Asia.

Though I dont know much about AA, I have heard that they recently employed 2 people that will definitely give the training a taste of Classic MAS.

You got a long road ahead of you outlaw. Humility, though not necessarily the most important or universally accepted factor, is definitely an important trait in the pursuit of knowledge. This job flying jets with the big boys is just that. A never ending learning process.