PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA slams Ghana Civil Aviaition
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2005, 05:49
tusker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done FAA and ICAO,
I recently staged through Kano on a tech stop and had the joy of an Air Force corporal holding me to ransom for $300US for handling fees and "agent" appointment. When I told him to go ..... his granny he called up the tower so that when I asked for start clearance the tower did not reply.(Radio u/s) I then called on the approach frequency, got an answer, and when they realised it was me ,they could not hear again. Also, what bothers most of all is that if he takes a bribe , he will also take a bribe for unchecked baggage or overweight baggage or unaccompanied baggage. I may be sitting in the thing when it goes bang for his $300US. Not a bargain.
I recently visited Equtorial Guinea and for $50 US you can place unchecked and unaccompanied baggage on a flight into Spain.
As long as the bribery and corruption exists to get uncontrolled stuff airside I would gladly support not letting any carrier from those areas into a normal civilised system, no matter how much the GCAA or any other bribe taking authority pleads and promises. The risk just clearly outweighs any other advantages. Besides, a ship from Nigeria to New York only takes 8 days.