PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Money for young travellers
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2005, 17:09
Omaha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I ended up having a big prob recently while vacationing in Lake Garda. I've used my ATM card all over the world but the sign I need to use wasn't on the machines in northern Italy, the 'link' sign I think & no one in the banks recognised the 'link 'or 'plus' signs'. I had tried to find out of pin number for my credit card before I left but a recorded message told me to use the internet which I foolishly forgot about.

I had to go to a Cambio (Exchange) centre where I had to pay 10% commission. The banks were closed anyway because it was a long weekend.

I tried the banks on the Tuesday but they refused to forward money on my credit card without my pin & I couldn't manage finding it on the internet without a plethora of details which I didn't have with me so it was back to the exchange centre who opened up especially for me early in the morning.

I rang the credit card company when I got back, turns out my stupid credit card was never a chip & pin one in the first place but a sign & pin (so why wouldn't the banks forward me money on it then). I got my new card the other day, I'll be changing my pin number to the same as my ATM for ease of remembrance.

Be careful, don't fall into the expensive mess that I did. Major credit cards appear to be accepted everywhere but do have you pin number. Be wary of being able to use lesser known cards.

I'm lucky I didn't end up living on bread & water between my included breakfasts & dinners that is.