PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jessica Starmer - BALPA's view (Update - Appeal decision)
Old 16th May 2005, 16:14
FO Janeway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dyck, just tell it how it is.

redsnail and er82, you are right. I am trying to find another job, making a choice: IF I do get another job (yeah, I dream on) it would not occur to me to drop pregnant within the first 3 years of that new employment, being old fashioned somehow, I still have a sense of loyalty and honour, prob to my own detriment. ( as management don't show the same in return, but that's another story).
So, I am torn-between in the JS case. Sorry, but having everything shuved up your backside by your employer (ie cadet scheme ((and yes, of course I'm jealous, I would have rather had an easy ride, getting qualified))). Then work a little and then start the family so soon, is taking the mick. You could have waited just that tad longer.
On the other hand, JS will stay with BA until she retires, whereas a young boy-cadet, will leave for better things as soon as he can, because, let's face it: BA as an employer is no longer the cream of the crop these days. Working your a$$ off to the point of being unsafe, take note AMcL, is not exactly a cool prospect. (still undercrewed?hmm, wonder why)

Also: why is it such a big problem to work pt?? Do they begrudge parttimers the off-time? remember you also get only paid part-money (X-Trail rather than Cayenne), get part-leave etc. the fact about bidline is to be sorted, why the inequality, there?
What baffles me is Mr. Starmer's role in all this. What about him going pt? If both do 75% that'll be 150%, too. Or can't he be bothered?????

Captain Fielding, I admire you, and as a BALPA member thank you with all my heart for all your time, effort and sweat you put into this. There are clearly a lot of issues to be dealt with within our community and this is just the tip of the iceberg. (for all the whingers who get out of BALPA: good riddance, we don't need you)
It starts with the ridiculous amount of money we have to stamp up to become qualified: why does 1 hour of Aztec flying for your IR or 1 hour in a SIM have to cost £400? (somebody is ca$hing in big time)
A Uni-leaver these days has accrued a debt of £12,000 . My heart bleeds!! Ive just paid off my 60Grand debt this year after flying commercially for 7years: stupid, eh??
2.9% are women. prob because women aren't so stupid to fork out 60, 70 or 85grands worth to land a 20grand turboprop job!!!

Now, I'm getting carried away. I know I am ranting, and BRAKEDWELL, I'll answer your Q tomoorow, when I have flown with my fellow, knackered ladypilot to Timbuktu and back.

I always hated drawing the pc/sexist card: No boss/recruiter in their right mind is gonna look at a 20-40year old lady pilots cv in any more favour than before. It's a fact. I am surprised there IS 2.9% of us in the first place, as, with my growing experience with myself and my fellow girls, we more and more seem to get the stick.

right: flak jacket donned.

Capt Fillosan, thank you.