PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL Exam
Thread: CPL Exam
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2005, 13:48
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The second section of LASORS, "ORS", contains the Safety Sense leaflets. The very first of these, "General Aviation", includes advice on factoring. Section 12 of that leaflet covers Performance, and states:
The performance figures given in the Handbook/Manual were obtained by a test pilot on a new aircraft, so in addition to the published factors, apply a safety factor of 1.33 for take-off and 1.43 for landing. These give acceptable safety margins, and will offset an out-of-practice pilot/tired engine. On a few aircraft these may have been included in the manufacturers information as ‘factored’ data. (See SafetySense Leaflet 7 ‘Aeroplane Performance’)
Safety Sense Leaflet 7 gives more detailed information.

So, to answer your question, the take-off safety factor is 1.33, not 1.43. However, I'm sure I read somewhere fairly recently that the advice had changed, and that the recommended safety factor for take-off was 1.25, as your examiner said - but I can't remember where I read that, I can't find it again now.

More to the point, though, how did your school let you get away with making this mistake for your CPL skills test? For both my CPL and my IR skills test I had to complete a full set of performance calculations for my 170a flight, just before the actual skills test, and this should have been picked up then! Do you mind if I ask what school it was? I hope you passed, despite your school's oversight in not pointing this out to you.

FFF
--------------