PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are we paying for?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2005, 11:58
eason67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr ATPL exams

The reasons the exams are in the format they are is because it is cheaper.
Exams are multiple choice and marked using SMS computers. It take about 5 seconds and anyone can do tis, therefore costs are kept down.
If the old system was retained then a well qualified and knowledgeable pilot would be required to mark and analyse the workings as they were also considered too.
Believe it or not, ground instructors are not ten a penny when it comes to stuff like PoF, Performance and Gen Nav, met etc... So how the hell would the CAA find any to mark them.
Also, there is no debate, (or very little anyhow). Its either right or wrong. This saves appeal time, although therre are still appeals.

Its swings and roundabouts ladies and gentlemen!!

The old system wasnt any harder. At least then your working out counted and marks were given for that. Fair enought about negative marking but thats just daft doing that!

As for the groundschools, Bristol have been going for years and base all their feedback on what their students tell them. If you've been operating that long then you will have a pretty good idea of the questions being asked.
When I went there, it was hard work for the full two weeks and we covered EVERYTHING!!(apart from pussy areas such as Comms, ).

The question bank is not that big in some subjects areas too!!

I heard of someone buying the full bank off the internet but that is just a rumour for me.

The system wont change anyway, unless a cheaper method is found, and you can bet on that!!