PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International for better or for worse?
Old 15th Aug 2001, 21:09
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I have had a mail subscription to FI for 20+ years. It continually goes up in price, but sadly seems to come down in content.

In every issue, I can always find some extremely interesting snippet of information that I would not learn from any other source. I read just about every article within the magazine, on any topic, and generally find them of considerable interest. The cross application of technology and technological development is a definite value. FI has good contacts within the various organisations they report on, which explains their ability to provide accurate and informed reports that are beyond the scope of general reporting.

I do however temper my comments with the observation that there are many topics of limited interest or detail. FI is not the essential reading it once was for developments in the industry. As someone who has spent their career far removed from the mainstream of the aviation business, I used to have to carefully read every issue to have any hope of following industry developments and opportunities - now I often find a large number of unopened FI's laying in the mail! They are still valuable reading when I get around to them, just not essential reading anymore.

Each year at renewal time, I seriously consider the neccesity of renewing. Perhaps it may end with this current subscription, I'm not sure.

I only commented on this topic, because I just recieved a subscriber survey from FI in the mail. Asking a few pertinent questions about me and my connection to Aviation.

Only problem!
After I have taken the time to complete the form, they want me to pay the postage to mail it back to the UK!

I would guess that these surveys do not get a very strong response - now you know why!