PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash In Gloucester, 2 Injured
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2005, 06:12
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Yes I know the old 105 is being based in N Devon this year - it only goes to highlight the unsatisfactory arrangement of having one AA for a county the size of Devon and ignoring the other available asset (which is already paid for and doesn't the public to dig into their pocket to provide). In fact they were originally going to be based at Chivenor but I don't think they liked the crap accommodation.
Our paramedics are trained to NHS standard and have been for many years (in the RAF) so they are of the same standard as AA but don't get the same amount of hands on. The rules require them to complete exactly the same continuity and assessment training as any NHS paramedic so let's not slag the boys off for lack of capability (especially since they have to do it on moving decks, sides of mountains etc).
Mighty - the Gazelle fortunately did crash in an easily accessible area in benign conditions. But Kinloss were only informed once EC135 was on scene (this is my point and why I am labouring it) they didn't get to choose whether or not to send us in response to an initial call because no-one called them. In this case we would have been stood down en-route but at least we would have been airborne in case we were needed.
Mustfly - where is that then?(especially night)
TC is that 2 patients in stretchers? The 135 five is very nice but I don't think it is that big. You know that there is enough room in the Sea King for not only 2 stretchers but also for doctors/paramedics to work on those caualties effectively en-route.
I was not comparing our rearcrew with firecrew but with AA paramedics and I don't remember slagging the firemen off for not being brave.
And for the last time - my post was about use of the ARCC in coordinating responses to aircraft crashes (their job) not about who has the best capability or the biggest dick.
North Wales has an ideal situation since a previous SAR flight commander is now one of the AA pilots and redirects calls straight to the SAR flt if he thinks they might be needed. Does that qualify as military educating the EMS community? We in SAR are not the ones in a bubble of superiority - no-one here (except Bertie who is ex RAF) has suggested inviting their local SAR flt or the ARCC to brief them on what we do. There is only one ARCC and only 8 mil SAR flts - how many ambulance control rooms and AA units are there? We know how your system works but the comments of many here show they don't understand ours.