PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International for better or for worse?
Old 15th Aug 2001, 10:02
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I'd read that!! An Aviation Mag that reports,in a none partisan/PC, warts an all manner on what's going on in this industry.

Truth is I buy very few aviation mags these days unless I spot one in the news stand with a really interesting article, which is rarer as time goes on.

Maybe it's the cynic in me but many seem to be written by 'enthusiasts' who have a hard time seeing past the 'shiny new paint job' or 'flash gadgetry' or who have little/no real day to day experience of the subject matter with which to see past the BS being spun them by the salesman/Airline management beancounter/politician/General or whatever. Or perhaps they don't want to risk not being given anyore interesting assignments if they aren't always flattering of the subject matter.

I stopped buying FI for all the reasons stated above.
I stopped buying 'Flying' because it seemed pitched at PPLs and there are only so many articles you can read about 'Hard IFR in a C210' before it gets old, although I ALWAYS enjoyed Len Morgan.Is he still around?
My company gets B&CA/Professional Pilot/AC flyer delivered and that in combination with Flight Journal occasionally and American Bonanza Society(I have one)does me for all I need. ABS even have their own, much older, version of Len Morgan to read but at 94 he's probably not going to be around a helluva lot longer, and B&CA have Torch Lewis.

There's a lot of competition out there for the advertising buck so if a Mag doesn't reach it targeted audience it won't survive, perhaps that's why FI is still around or perhaps that's why it's getting smaller and less relevant(to pilots).

Chuck.

PS I have to wonder about a mag so full of advertising and yet so relatively expensive