PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are we paying for?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2005, 11:42
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

Granted the ATPL examination system has it's faults in that you only ever probably use about 12% (not my figures) of the knowledge during your flying career but is this thread a wind up? It would be easier to memorise the theory to pass the exams than the letters of the answers! How absurd to suggest some candidates actually do this! Have you actually sat your exams yet Devils Itch? If not I suggest you start studying instead of mucking about on the internet!

The ATPL's are 90% memory exercise and 10% technical aptitude. As Scroggs said, in the old CAA days with negative marking it was probably much harder and during the bedding in years of JAA no school had a clue how to prepare their students until the first few guinea pig sittings had fallen at the first....

The ratio swings the other way when you get onto the flying exams (which many students often find harder) as you are trained how to multitask. Ground instructors say the ATPL's are the hardest part to give their role more gravitas IMHO and ease the prospect of harder things to come....

Wait until you're on a second attempt at the IR with no money left or getting closed doors everyday when applying for non existant jobs or perhaps working through the night hours on a type rating!

VFE.