PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accident Statistics
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2005, 11:34
Tim Mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a great thread, missed it first time around. One of my favourite aeroplanes; most of them have been on reflection! Driffield end of 51, fresh from Harvards, loads of power, not much fuel, excellent instruction, what more could one want? We did not lose anyone from our course, but a couple, including the Station Medical Officer who I think did too tight a circuit at Merrifield, knocked his pitot head off on a tree, then tried again with disasterous results, were lost during our time there. Par for the course at that time, tragically.

I had a Czech instructor, Gerry Sodec, lovely chap, who I could hardly understand on the ground. 35000 in the unpressurised 7, no hope! We managed.

On to Strad on the Mk8, followed by squadron tour, then try and cadge a Meatbox whenever I could. Last flew the Mk8 in Cyprus in 65, and having been elevated to a staff job at NEAF, tried again, which made HQ NEAF realise they still had one at Akrotiri, so they disestablished it!

I'm full of admiration for those like FV who can remember it all in so much detail. For me it is all a distant and thoroughly enjoyable blurr.