PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash In Gloucester, 2 Injured
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2005, 09:19
whoateallthepies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab
Your initial complaint that RCC was not advised has been debunked by ec135 who was first on scene.

Your comment that the 2 paramedics "did very well" was condescending in the extreme, they did a superb job.

"At least our winchmen are used to operating in hazardous situations and they are trained in post crash management". Do you not believe that paramedics are used to operating in hazardous situations? Don't you know that as part of their training they are taught to deal with post crash management? Air Ambulance paramedics see a lot more serious trauma than your average winchman

"I suspect not all of them are as brave as those 2"!
I suspect not all winchmen are as brave as those two! Do you like the sound of that? I thought not. As an ex-crab SAR man who has been involved with UK EMS flying for the past 12 years I can assure you that the paramedics I have worked with have all been as brave and dedicated as the winchmen I was privileged to fly with. And that's saying something (as you know).

Ambulance control centres are busy places and it is up to the crew attending a job to tell the centre to call ARCC. Certainly in Yorkshire, if the AA was attending a job where they felt SAR would be the best asset, they would get comms to ring Kinloss. Or if attending a major RTC ( for instance a bus-load of pensioners crashed on the York bypass) the crew would make sure ARCC was informed so Leconfield could help. At the Selby train crash, apart from both Yorkshire and Lancashire AA attending, there were two RAF Sea Kings.

So I agree. You shouldn't be left out of the equation completely when it might make a difference. And I also agree that in an ideal world there would be some central tasking agency for SAR and AA helos but there isn't. Your North Devon beach example is shocking and I hope that kind of situation can be resolved locally.

Don't get "gripped". I can assure you and your colleagues that AA crews have nothing but respect and admiration for UK SAR crews and the the job you do. But this wasn't one for you.