PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR going out to contract.
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2005, 09:09
Decks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab,
I'm a SAR p1 for CHC in Shannon. We get 60 hours a month to train with in an aircraft almost identical to the Seaking. In the 5 years I have been here, there have been very few jobs turned down.... almost none. Of those that have, there are none that I know of that resulted in loss of life.
The co. receives receive VERY stiff financial penalties if we are offline or reduced in capability for any reason. If the aircraft goes u/s they will jump thru hoops to get it back online. And at the end of the day we do what we are told to do by our client... the Coastguard. If they want "more" the government have to pay more... but then again a military op. would be the same.
When the contracts come up for renewal the client gets offers from all prospective bidders and gets the best for its buck. Subsequently we get audited by the client, the IAA, and internally on a very regular basis... If theres a snag it is addressed until the Coastguard are happy.
We have had pilots and rearcrew from all backgrounds including RAF. Most were excellent, some were average but it was the individual rather than the background that was the common factor in the best of them.
I have no doubt that the RAF have provided an excellent service. I hope they still do. But thats not to say that others cant provide an equally good service too.... regardless of how the cash gets from the taxpayer to the winch hook.