PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International for better or for worse?
Old 14th Aug 2001, 16:52
InFinRetirement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Sadly, for me that is, I remember reading Flight in the war years. Can't remember if it was actually produced in it's current frequency, but it was a good read. Well the pictures were anyway.

After the war I started to buy it regularly at about tuppence or maybe sixpence, but I kept on buying it up to about 1996. Quite a long time when you think about it. Some of those copies might have been collectors items. Hey I could have raised some money for the fund!!!

However, Flight has been a changing mag for ALL of that time and quite simply, it keeps up with the immense changes in all of the industries. You would surely expect it to wouldn't you. I cannot ever re-call it being a magazine just for pilots, but I can re-call it being much more interesting than it is today. But in it's defence, that is probably because it covers all the aspects of flying from flying cars to the very latest in normal take off run shuttles of the future, and it HAS to cover those things that David listed. It would not be doing a service to ALL it's readers if it didn't.

I don't read the back pages anymore (sad again) - there is no need to but I remember reading the sports pages of newspapers first too. I even read who-dun-it books from the back sometimes!

No, I think Flight is OK. It won't suit everyone but that's the way it is now. But my best 4 weeks are still the superb, well researched Airline's Directory. Especially since I do a bit of consultancy work now and again.

It's your privlege to knock Flight of course, but I would suggest that you are fair and choose the right reasons for doing so.

Long may it live, at least until it is a 100 years old in 2009. If I am still alive I would love to be at the party!

Have you got a diary to cover that D???