PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather forecasting in the tropics
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2005, 20:42
palgia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kishna,

I would be happy to recommend some good books if you could be a little more specific on what exactly you are looking for, and for what purpose.
Are you looking for a book on Tropical Meteorology ? (ie. Hurricanes/Typhoons/ect) Or are you looking for a book on forecasting convection/mesoscale severe weather? (thunderstorms)
Are looking for a theoretical book with lots of nasty math to describe all the processes or are you looking for more of a "rule-book" for home-made forecasting?
Are you looking for a book to increase your knowledge to qualitatively assess and understand the weather or do you want to get into the quantitative number-crunching forecasting?

In other words, are you a pilot looking for a book to better understand the weather in the tropics (being able to better interpret the official forecasts, perform some now-casting of convection) or are you a meteorologist looking for a technical books on a specific forecasting problem in a region of the world?

I apologize for sounding pedantic, but there are a LOT of books out there (most of which are NOT cheap), so before recommending one I'd want to make sure it will serve your purpose.

Cheers,

palgia