PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jessica Starmer - BALPA's view (Update - Appeal decision)
Old 14th May 2005, 17:37
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
"empowered females". I don't think so.

There's not many of us female pilots around. I have been asked in an interview (Australia, Qantas regional airline)
"are you married?"
ans. No.
"are you in a long term steady relationship"
ans. No.
"are you planning any children soon"
ans. No.

Reason for those questions. 2 FOs were on maternity leave. They'd been with the company for quite a few years and they wanted to have some kids. (I believe they'd been with the co for ~5-8 years)

I did get the job. Now I am in the UK and with a new employer. They probably would have ~10-15 female pilots out of ~360+ pilots. (Not a UK company BTW)

If employers feel that female pilots will cost them a lot of money and loss of productivity then they will not employ us. Pure and simple. I would like to think that a female pilot "grounded" due maternity could return something to the company in the way of ground jobs. Such as interviews, manual revision/proof reading, conducting CRM courses or being sim buddies when required.

I am nearly 40 and no kids. I don't think it is morally right for me to start a new job, be paid to train and have a type rating paid for by the company and without a suitable return of service expect 50% roster and maternity leave.

I am very conscious that acceptance of female pilots is a comparatively new thing. We're still working on our passengers but they too will accept us. This decision by the courts has done nothing to help us be accepted as equals.

I don't know JS personally and perhaps there's more to the case than what has been written here. My view is a personal one.

There's no point in winning a battle if you're going to lose the war.