PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Whole Pilot Thing
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2005, 13:32
JB007

PPRuNe Secret Agent!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eoincarey

Read Puritans post here if you haven't already! It outlines pretty much the long and short of the whole truth about "doing the pilot thing" at the present time, market considerations etc etc....

If you really want to do it, then go ahead - I have to agree with most peoples comments about kicking the degree into to the sidelines, start your ATPL writtens instead!

Outline a plan for yourself but remain VERY flexible with it, choose your training provider, finance it - add 20-25% and go do it! If you really want it then you'll work hard and succeed.

The hard truth about the whole thing is keeping your feet on planet earth - hang on to your ambition but be aware, that you may never ever gain what you set out to do. IMHO the reason for this is the importance of luck, never underestimate it! You need talent, application and luck to get on - and finding luck is the most important factor in finding success!

I've been flying professionally for about a year now, and I just love it! I keep hearing it'll wear off and become just a job and as lifes priorities change i'm sure it will - but the buzz of going to work is just unreal...can't get enough of it! Worth every penny and all the sweat and tears. But then I fit into abracadabra's "....young and not tied down....find the lifestyle and the flying are terrific etc etc etc" bracket!!!

The very best of luck.
Cheers
JB