PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skill test - do I keep my mouth shut?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2005, 10:48
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
I tell my candidates that I will act as an intelligent passenger on the nav legs (e.g. if I see another aeroplane, I'll point it out). I ask them to tell me what the ETA at the turning point will be and if they amend it. Also, if they're off track, to tell me how they're regaining it. Oh - and to wake me up if required!

The diversion again, "When you're ready, please take us here. Let me know your ETA when you've worked it out please."

Once the div is over, I will tell the candidate that the navigation is now "mine, all mine!" until I tell him/her that it's time to go home - but that'll be from a well-known local landmark. Otherwise, to do what I ask - no need to remember the sequence of exercises.

If you want to chant out what you're doing, feel free. But there's no need, the Examiners are sly enough to notice! And remember, if you develop the habit of describing what you're doing as you do it, eventually you want be able to talk quickly enough - so try to drop the habit except for the odd memory-item checklist.

There'll be NOTHING NEW on your Skill Test; it's just an overall assessment of your suitability to take you and your friends pleasure flying SAFELY.

And we know that you will be nervous and will probably make the odd mistake - we all did once!

Good luck - but reading between the lines of your post it sounds as though you've got the right idea and you won't need any luck to get you through!!