PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skill test - do I keep my mouth shut?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2005, 10:30
Paul D.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Skill test - do I keep my mouth shut?

This will probably become pretty evident to me when I come to take my skill test (hopefully next month), and I'll obviously speak to my FI about it, but I wondered if any PPL's could tell me how they were told to approach the test in terms of dialogue

A few examples of what I mean will hopeully help.

1) During Nav flights I normally speak to my instructor during each leg, commenting on things like ground features I have noticed while reading from chart - ground, which indicate I am either on track or driting off track but I would wait unitl e.g. the halfway point before making a decision on any heading or ETA corrections that I felt were needed. I also tell my instructor if I am making a change to the forecast wind when planning my diversion. I don't ask him questions, I just tell him what I've noticed and what I might have to do about it.

2) I normally call all my checks out loud while performing them. Where I know that some things are taught slightly differently by some instructors at my FTO, I say this is they way I have been taught, but I know there are other ways that are also taught.

Do examiners want students to be vocal during their test, or should I basically keep my mouth shut and concentrate on pointing the aircraft in the right direction?

Thanks.

Paul.