PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jessica Starmer - BALPA's view (Update - Appeal decision)
Old 14th May 2005, 07:54
Dave Fielding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To reply to the last two posts:

1) I'm afraid I don't know how much it cost(ed) BA to train cadets. Having done some recruitment at OATS last year I recall the cheapest course was around £51k, but that is probably out of date or wrong. No doubt others can answer this question better than I can.

2) I take your point. The only thing I would say is that you mention your previous experience. Do you think things would be different now? Do you think that as a result of Jessica's case females might feel empowered - with BALPA's backing - to stand up against this sort of thing?

I stress I don't know the answer and am speculating as much as the next man. The debate is, I guess, over whether the issue has taken a step backwards because of the case. I don't know. What I do passionately believe, however, is that ultimately we will take many strides forward because of the ground we have broken here. And I say again that these advances are not confined to females: all those who aspire to PTW for whatever reason now have a better chance than they did before the case.

Best wishes

Dave