PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Hislop killed in helicopter accident: threads merged
Old 13th May 2005, 17:07
slowrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The comments about throttle operation compared with motorbikes is interesting, however the R44 is of course standard in this respect.
On the other hand, the Robinson R22(and R44 I think) has a non-standard control yoke.
I lost control of a R22 for several seconds in normal cruise once. The instructor took control and brought us back to level. Here is what happened in my opinion.

Consider how the yoke can be rotated as well as moved from side to side on the Robinson. In normal operation of automobile control wheels, a small movement of the hand, UP and Down, occurs as the wheel is rotated.
When I lost control it was because I had reverted to instinctive reaction from years of operation of control wheels. (Cessna control yoke is similar as well). We normally turn with an up and down rotation but the R22 is side to side. It is a strange mix of control wheel and control stick.

As an experienced pilot, it is slightly embarrassing to admit that I lost control of the R22 yoke in early training, but I think the issue should be revealed for instructors to take note.
I think the R44 yoke is similar to the R22 but I cant remember for sure.
Pilots often react by instinct when scared. And the operation of our cars is much more ingrained in our brains.