PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is contaminated bleed air harmful? YES...
Old 13th May 2005, 15:39
Dolly with brains!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having just got back from a 3 day trip, some on the 757 and some on the 320, I fail to see why BALPA do nothing on air quality matters. We as cabin crew can't write up fumes we need you people to do it. I approached the F/O and told him the plane (A 757) stank of dirty socks and he simply said 'I know' but then told me the Captain did not want to 'rock the boat'!

IS IT LEGAL FOR PILOTS TO IGNORE WHAT WE TELL THEM ?

I have reported him to the T&G who thankfully are on the case.

Having reread, the complete thread and the AOPIS website data I fail to see how a BALPA official such as Martin Alder can work for BALPA and make comments like:

Behaving in a confrontational manner akin the Animal Liberation Front or such , as seems to be the case with the rather personal slurs on me in this thread in relationship to AOPIS.

BALPA were happy I understand from my T&G official to take copies of the AOPIS DVD for all their members and their sponsorship money for BALPA's recent conference and now they or Martin Alder (as he appears to be the only voice of BALPA) attack them.

Amazing!

What is clear is that Mr Alder is a non believer, does not care, does not know the facts and seeks to do all possible to bury the truth AND he is head of their safety unit!!!! SCAREY STUFF

What is not clear is why he is the only BALPA voice on this thread. Can a BALPA representative please confirm if his comments are BALPA policy ?

At least we in the T&G have a clear position which is with the government!!

The Transport and General Workers Union, the UK’s leading trade union representing cabin crew on aircraft, today called on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to make it a mandatory requirement for airlines to advise passengers that they have been exposed to contaminated air rather than maintain the current silence. This demand followed the ‘Contaminated Air Protection Conference’ which was organised by the pilots’ union BALPA in London last week. That conference concluded that crews and passengers exposed to contaminated air are getting sick. This conclusion confirmed what the T&G has seen with its crews working in the confines of commercial jet aircraft.
“It’s not maybe our people are being sick or perhaps but they definitely are,” said Oliver Richardson, T&G regional industrial organiser who represents cabin crew members. “How many passengers are also suffering? Who knows? Airlines do not tell passengers when they are exposed to contaminated air.”

Mr. Richardson said the T&G is now calling on the HSE to require that all British registered aircraft have bleed air filtration systems (cabin air supply) fitted on all aircraft used for passenger transportation above a maximum take off weight of 5700kgs so that crews and passengers can be protected from contaminated air as a matter of urgency. He added that the largest inquiry prior to the ‘Contaminated Air Protection Conference’, the 2000 Australian Senate Inquiry, had also called for air supply filtration systems to be mandatory. These systems are estimated to cost less than £15,000 for a typical holiday jet aircraft which costs millions of pounds to manufacture.

“The cost to put these filters on aircraft is a small price to pay to protect the travelling public,” added Mr. Richardson. “That’s why the T&G is now calling on the aviation industry to make the fittings of contaminated air sensors on all aircraft above a maximum take off weight of 5700kgs used for passenger transportation compulsory.”

ENDS

For further information please call Oliver Richardson on 020 8573 9494 or the T&G Press Office on 020 7611 2550/49

http://www.tgwu.org.uk/Templates/Int...p?NodeID=89253