PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Hislop killed in helicopter accident: threads merged
Old 13th May 2005, 13:34
bladewashout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomas: As a buyer (!) I think many of us are only too aware of the handling issues.

It partly comes down to affordability: I think most buyers would fly the best they can afford, sadly some of us can't afford much, so we wisen up but still buy the cheaper option. I have a 22, would prefer a (safer IMHO) 44 but would be happiest in an EC120 or 206. It's a 22 or nothing.

Anyone who buys an R22/44 and hasn't perused some or all of the UK, US and possibly australian and canadian accident report databases, is nuts. Every possible accident you could have is already there to be learned from.

Ignoring the truly unforeseeable, my way out as a low hours private pilot is to fly only when the weather is well within the envelope, try to be very conservative even then. Low cloud, high density altitude, near MAUW, anything tricky, just walk away, and until you have say 250-300 hours in a Robbie, only fly with rated pilots (like the Robinson factory does) - don't take distracting passengers when you have limited skills.

BW.