PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield Airport GA Conflicts
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2005, 12:21
Whoooooop Whoooooop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charley,

Thank's for the info.

I think that the general reason for such nervousness is that Doncaster are using Waddington as "their" Radar control. ie. arriving & departing traffic are immediately handed over to Waddington control upon departure & from their control once over the arifield beacon.

I understand your comment regarding the no transponder comment, but the point I was trying to make is that if the good Airmanship is not taking place, there's another link in the chain due to Waddington Radar control.

For example, if Waddington "see" a blip of a non transponding A/C heading towards the ILS for Runway 20. Could there not be an increased risk that it will take longer to communicate this information to the Landing A/C who are themselves now talking to Donny & no longer Waddington?

Also, I think there's some truth in the comment that Waddington can't see right down to the circuit height on their Radar. So what happens in this below 2000ft region as the arriving & departing A/C are close to the airport?

As regards the overflying A/C comment, I appreciate that in controlled Airspace A/C over fly each other all the time, however they are usually closely monitored by Radar. Not the case on the Doncaster ILS at the moment.

I would urge anyone who knows how the system at Doncaster is currently configured to speak up if they have any insecurities at the moment.

Rumour, and this is a "rumour network" say's that there are some of the local GA flyers deliberately flying into the Doncaster controlled zone to see if they are going to get recognised & warned off. Seems like a pretty stupid game of "told you so" going on if there's any truth in the rumour.

Anyway, I have a least aired my concerns, let's hope they are unfounded.

Thanks