PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avionics apprenticeships???
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2002, 11:35
400 Hertz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago, I too made the choice to become an Avionic Eng or 'Greenie'. It was funny when one of the other guys on my course didn't actually know what he wanted to become, A+C or Greenie. Confusing times.. .. .The result was an interesting blend of experiences, getting to know the in's and out's of anything with a wire on it. The usual problems were light bulbs, which the A+C's could not be bothered to change themselves, and if they tried, the thing usually ended up in kit form after half an hour.. .. .Quite a few interesting courses as well. In the end, it all boils down to who you are working for. Some modern companies use the 'remote control engineering' approach. This means that you have some A+C grubber telling you to change some engine computer or other while they can't actually be bothered to fix the real problem, and they're just buying 'thinking time'.. .. .As aircraft get more complex, and the mechanical bits become more reliable, the Greenie bits still seem to fail with regular monotony. All this adds up to a job with cast-iron prospects, if you can stick at it.. .. .My advice is listen to the old-timers, they've usually seen all the defects, and their experience is not written down in any of the manuals. Good luck.