PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Pay
Thread: Etihad Pay
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2005, 06:32
etihadlad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally agreed with your point of view, rhency, but what I was really saying as well, is that too many people focus on the take home salary in $$$ only.

While I previously gave up a position which paid twice as much as my first Cabin Crew position, I am now making much more than that and in the time I have been able to avail of things like cheaper airfares and associated accomm. discounts etc (staff travel perks) which has saved me a lot of money and allowed me to travel on a regular basis and much much more than I would have had I stayed in my old job. While I never had to declare this savings in my tax - full fares are something that i have never had to pay and it certainly has made me a better person( ??!!???) -well, at least more well-travelled and cultured one!!!!So when I am older and looking back on my life - I will be able to say I have been to all these places that many still only dream of when they retire (and still have to pay for out of their supperannuation/savings!! )

It is the other "non- value" perks which add to a job and these days all airlines offer different things in many ways. ie some staff are paid for flight time, others are duty time, some get unlimited/limited ID90 some get ID50, and these things can make a big difference in the long run.
Other benefits mentioned here are things like accommodation, utilities, transport, medical, dry cleaning, free annual tickets home etc etc. and they are not dollar amounts included in the salary - but certainly add up when you have to pay these things yourself.
As I said - if you are not happy with what an airline is offering - then maybe it is not for you - but look at the whole picture on offer. To keep it focussed on this thread, EY offers the added benefit of being a newer airline - so the opportunities for progression to CM roles is greater - therefore more money and an improvement in your lifestyle.

My main grief is that many people are saying that EY salary is terrible - I don't agree personally and it is me that has to live with my decision. i just hate others runnning around
bad-mouthing other companies ( not just EY ) so that it makes their own seem elitist and that THEY are the lucky ones to have got into their airline.

We should all just be happy for one another that we are lucky to have full time employment in the aviation industry, it is a very hard industry to get into ( we all know that!) but can be an extremely rewarding career. It's just that some earn more and others get different perks instead. Different things motivate and drive different peole - that's just life. Just look at the big picture. That's all.

Cheers

Last edited by etihadlad; 13th May 2005 at 06:43.