PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The real dangers of Black Night VFR.
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2005, 01:58
McGowan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Training is very important I agree, but with that flying you must also add the "mental training" or "mental ability"(not sure these are the right terms so hope you get my meaning).
I've done a little bit of NVFR training for pilots in the past and some can do the physical bit but the mental stuff is beyond them.
No matter how much you explain the fact that NVFR is "visual", not "instrument" flying, that the use of instruments is really for an emergency, such as inadvertant flight into IMC which should be pretty rare if you check the weather before heading off into the dark or loss of the natural horizon for some reason, and that these types of flights require far more pre flight planning than a lap around the block after lunch, some people still look at it as just another flight.
The biggest problem I had when conducting tests for the issue of a NVFR rating was the simple fact that you can't fail a candidate because you know he is a ********.
If he comes up with the required skills, flys to the required standards and answers the questions correctly on the night of the test, then he is a pass......
Glad I am out of the area now.