PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Hislop killed in helicopter accident: threads merged
Old 12th May 2005, 22:32
Gaseous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a pilot rated on both Enstrom and R44 I find this report very interesting.

I think the crucial fact is made in the report that the R44 is unstable, but the relative stability of the Enstrom that Steve trained on, and did his instrument appreciation on is not mentioned. Steve would have been more used to the stable,centrally trimmed position of the Enstrom.

I have been in IMC in both types of machine and of the two, the R44 is much more challenging because the cyclic has no centrally biased position. One is truly immediately on instruments. An Enstrom is totally different. The thing will fly hands off and it is a conscious effort to move from the straight and level and is easier to control in IMC. This gives one time to gather ones thoughts. I was lucky and escaped both times.

While I obviously can't say whether this handling difference contributed to the accident I believe it is a point that any pilot converting from Enstrom to Robinson should consider.

The full AAIB report has lots of information on blade stall that I have not seen anywhere else. I think it is recommended reading for Robinson pilots.

I do not wish to upset Steves family, but why are they dissatisfied with the report?

Steve, my thoughts are with you.