PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA & CAA disagree over B747 continued 3 engine flight
Old 12th May 2005, 17:53
Crash and Burn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flash 8,

Thanks, once people understand the point they see and can identify with the actual threat. My concern is that companies see this and adopt it as SOP in the ignorance that ATC will resolve everything if things go bad, then blame them if it does not. There comes a point in time, when you run out of luck and/or ability then wish you where already on the ground.

As a professional pilot and ex-civil controller (hi guys), I see both sides of the fence. I imagine controllers are thinking, you have an FMC, it tells you that you have ‘X’ amount of fuel and that you will have ‘x’ on arrival. ‘x’ equals one chance to land. The question then becomes how long did you know this for? …. Sorry, did you say ‘H’ hours?… Would you not say you are a little slow to make a decision and have you heard of two tiny little places called Greenland and Iceland (apologises to the inhabitants, I use the terms ‘tiny little’ in the ironic form, no insult intended)?

It sounds like the (US) FAA is the only one willing to speak their mind, perhaps Canada, Greenland, Iceland, possibly Ireland (I wouldn’t want them left out – sometimes they speak the most sense) and the UK should speak up.

It should not be a witch-hunt, merely to say, 'nope not a good idea go here instead because it is the law'. Studies into ‘Human Factors’ clearly indicate something that we already know and that is, we make mistakes, accept it and move on.

If this sort of culture were allowed to continue, I would rather fly with westbound with a North American carrier.

Captain Airclues - Thanks for the information, I didn't see the other thread. The reason why I mention one visual ciruit is becasue it is the minimim anyone could get away with for a second chance, in other words something that ATC can resolve extremely quickly and that weather allowed a visual circuit. I think this is a lot to hope for so many hours in advance if the wind were different if the actual Wx were different to the forecast Wx, ATC vectored them wide or slow them down in the absense of a declaration etc. Whilst they could have responded accordingly, was it necessary. I am sure you would agree.

Last edited by Crash and Burn; 12th May 2005 at 18:07.