PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA & CAA disagree over B747 continued 3 engine flight
Old 12th May 2005, 11:28
Crash and Burn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Hand Solo - Thanks for the detailed analysis of the B747 fuel system, however I am not debating how the fuel gets to the engines. As for ignorance, no doubt you are aware that Manchester is not a quiet, sleepy little hollow of an airport the second runway bears testament to the increase in movements and yet holding at Manchester is a common occurrence. It is this to which I draw your attention. Ask any Air Traffic Controller about the risk associated by declaring an emergency too late. I read that the aircraft was at 3000 feet when the declaration was made, which puts the aircraft about 10 mile final approximately. At this point there must have been aircraft ahead on the final approach and aircraft either departing or aircraft crossing for departure. In other words, the scenario presented to ATC was most likely more complicated than the crew may have considered. From what I understand, the crew asked for the approach to be sterile for their approach, but if this was made at 3000 feet, then in my opinion, this is a little late and did they full explain their fuel state to ATC - I think not.

Perhaps you could give me your opinion of the fuel on touch down after completing one visual circuit (close traffic for our American friends) if you had 5000 kgs ( 11,000 lbs) of fuel left, which is what I understand from other posts on this site.

My opinion relates to the number of other factors beyond the control of the crew, not the ability of the crew to get the aircraft down. As you have confirmed 2 tons, is colloquially a 'few tons' (4400 lbs) ask your self the same question, if you had to perform the same exercise at another airport slightly closer, would you not be happier? Why was Manchester so important?

Last edited by Crash and Burn; 12th May 2005 at 21:35.