PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Following and RHS
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2005, 10:39
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have many 1200 in (say) Victor One, how do you 'follow' if you don't assign a code???
Barry, In the event that a controller agreed to Flight Follow you (provide a Radar Information Service) in Victor one, (although that is not the type of thing it's designed for) the radar system called TAAATS has a function or tool called RADTAG (RADAR TAG) a label would be attached to the A1200 label which appears on the screen; we manipulate the RADTAG to put in a level a callsign and other info of 8 letters called label data.

So as a concept, you say request Flight Following; I say squawk ident and go ahead details. You squawk and give me details; I attach a RADTAG to the "ident squawking" paint provided it corresponds with the 'details' you give me. Identify you and give you the service.

The system will not deattach the RADTAG unless you disapear from radar coverage. If you did dissapear I would be obliged to terminate your RIS or Flight Following. 'Cause you can't get a radar service when you're not painting.

For Enroute type following it will be relatively important for pilots to put in plans, as RADTAG will deattach in areas of 'dodgy' radar coverage so plans will make it easier for the controllers.

So the crap that DS has written is simply that, because he doesn't understand modern equipment; which the USA could hardly claim having (at least not widespread). Surely there are more important things.