PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GOM - yet another ditching
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2005, 19:10
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand what people are trying to say in this thread. I understand that it's a matter of safety, not regulation. I also understand that it's a matter of money, which I'm not convinced that the European posters do. As I've said before, I'm for using more twins, fewer takeoffs, and all that. But the oil companies will have to pay for that, and they're simply not willing to do so. Many of them are only interested in the cheapest transportation they can get, in the short term, and don't care about the long term. They save enough in monthly costs to pay for any lawsuits, which will be protracted in any case. Wishing does not make it so, and whining from the east side of the Atlantic will make no difference on what happens here. Even the majors have different operating philosophies, although that seems to be (very grudgingly) changing, albeit very slowly. But you have to remember that there are literally dozens of smaller oil companies operating in the GOM, along with many smaller helicopter operators, and these are all driven by short-term economics. As long as regulations permit using singles (and that will be at least through this century, IMO, and certainly through at least half of it) then singles will be used. If we are going to spend money on increasing safety, then we need to spend what little of it there is on the things which will really save lives, and not on the things outsiders believe, through their one true faith, will save us all. Twin engines are not a panacea, they're a red herring. We need better weather reporting, better flight following (real ATC, with common frequencies used by all operators), and better enforcement of regulations. We need TCAS, EGPWS, and better cockpit instrumentation. We need better regulation of crappy helipads, both offshore and onshore. We need realistic weather minimums. The major operators have conservative minimums, but the smaller ones just use the FAA regs, which only require clear of clouds. In short, there are many things which are killing us, and which could be fixed much more cheaply than junking hundreds of aircraft and buying hundreds of much more expensive aircraft. And requiring all twins would require, literally, the disposition of several hundred helicopters, just for the GOM. Ain't gonna happen.