PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The venerable Bell 47
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2005, 11:28
ground effect

Question bell 47...correct throttle/correlator set up

A quick question concerning the PERFECT setup/operation of bell 47 correlator units. I realise that when adjusted correctly the twist grip is only a `fine tuning` control input with the cam linkage doing the majority of the work in sync with collective inputs.

In the 47s I have flown so far a considerable amount of throttle needed to be opened while pulling power. And like wise when decreasing power a considerable amount of throttle needed to be closed to prevent an overspeed.

My question is what throttle control inputs would generally be required in a 47 with a PERFECTLY adjusted cam correlator unit (assume ISA at sea level with 2POB). During a conversation with another guy with more time on type it was mentioned that a 47 with a correctly adjusted correlator is more like flying a R22 with the governor switched off - ie when you pull power the correlator `over compensates` requiring the pilot to limit/slightly close the throttle.......and when power is decreased the correlator `over compensates` requiring the throttle to be opened a little.

Thanks