PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where has the R44 thread GONE?
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2005, 08:42
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPF1,

Some dumb guy puts himself and his passenger(s) in a really precarious position (200 feet agl, away from the wind with no good forced-landing areas underneath him), then has the dreaded Bad Thing happen. But somehow (divine intervention?) he manages to pull off a dramatic and precarious "save." Nearly everyone hails him as a hero.
That is NOT what happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't have the thread here to verify it, so let me remind you....

Raven described precisely what occurred, what warnings he had...the clutch light coming on etc. He then told us exactly what happened. He didn't put any judgement on it, one way or the other; he just stated the facts. He didn't NEED to tell us of the warnings. He could have said it all happened suddenly. He had a golf course ahead, which represents a possible forced landing area, but he chose to turn back; well, that's his choice. Everyone walked away, due to his skill...and a certain amount of luck, yes, that's true.

Now, NO-ONE here hailed him as hero! We low hours pilots congratulated him on pulling off a forced landing that many off us weren't sure we could have done. Then Jellycopter pointed out that maybe he shouldn't have got into that position in the first place. I started to discuss press-on-itis, and the possible difficulty of calling off a commerial flight when you're not sure if there's anything seriously wrong, and no-one else thinks there is. All in all, it had the makings of an interesting discussion, one from which many of us felt we could learn.

Then what happens? YOU post. You don't just point out that an extremely experienced pilot wouldn't have taken off, which would be fine, and very useful and informative. You call people names, you put them down, you sneer at Raven and at all low hours pilots. You make a real point of mentioning your hours, and all your experience, and how you've survived, and how much more you know than the rest of us. Basically, you get on a massive ego trip and highjack the whole thread! And in doing so, you rob the rest of us of the chance of learning a great deal. Yes, that's what you did, PPF1! I don't expect you to admit it publicly; you're not big enough for that, but at least admit it to yourself!!!

I almost always try to make a point on PPRuNe of criticising the post, not the person. But I'm going to make an exception here. PPF1, I've had enough of your rudeness, your egotistical ramblings, your childishness and emotional immaturity, your attacks on others. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. Please either change (and you CAN!) or get back into retirement...and stay there!!!