PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The real dangers of Black Night VFR.
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2005, 08:09
DomeAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dirtylittlefokker

Re the US requirements for night flying, I think you may be surprised at how "basic" they are in comparison to the NVFR in OZ...I know I was. Having said that, you just hope that a degree of common sense is used by someone with minimal night flying experience...

The following is an excerpt on the syllabus for the US PPL which can include night training.

Sec. 61.109 Airplane Rating: Aeronautical Experience

An applicant for a private pilot certificate with an airplane rating must have had at least a total of 40 hours of flight instruction and solo time which must include the following:

(a) Twenty hours of flight instruction from an authorized flight instructor, including at least--

- Three hours of cross country;
- Three hours of instrument flight training;
- Three hours at night, including 10 takeoffs and landings for applicants seeking night flying privileges; and
- Three hours in airplanes in preparation for the private pilot flight test within 60 days prior to that test.

An applicant who does not meet the night flying requirement in paragraph (a)(2) of this section is issued a private pilot certificate bearing the limitation "Night flying prohibited." This limitation may be removed if the holder of the certificate shows that he has met the requirements of paragraph (a)(2) of this section.