PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Pay
Thread: Etihad Pay
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2005, 01:03
etihadlad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly - thanks KiloMike for your nice words....

May I point out some things that I have found in my years of flying and successful applications to other airlines.
When I first started flying domestically in Aust, I was paid the HUGE sum of about AUD$1600 per month !!!!! $25000 pa( for those who need that converted - thats 640 Pounds, or 4640dirhams a month) and that was all inclusive !!!!!

I had to have my uniform dry cleaned at my own expense, pay rent, transport cost to and from work, normal living expenses and still have a life. May I say, at this time, that I realised that I loved flying and now matter how much money I earned (or didn't earn!!) I was the happiest I have ever been.
FYI - I came from another profession where I was paid more than twice as much as this - so I thought I was making a BIG sacrifice at the time!!!!

Since working in the industry , I have been fortunate to have had pay increases and been accepted to other International airlines. I have been accepted for QF UK where the salary worked out to roughly AUD$3750pm. (1500pounds) all inclusive of duty allowances.(other than possible O/T)
EY salary works out to about AUD$2500( 1000Pnds) So yes, in comparison against the others, it can make the EY salary not look so hot.

BUT HANG ON!! - that's right - even with the QF salary in the UK - I would have had to again pay transport costs(not cheap), rent(excessively expensive!!) etc from this - and we all know how cheap it is to live in LHR!!!! NOT!!!!
So for those of you who are comparing apples with oranges - look at the bigger picture. EY pay for almost all of your living and day to day expenses, medical etc. you need to add all that into the equation.

And finally, I ask you to think - personally, what is it that makes you really happy - Money? - or doing what you really want to do in a job you love??? Sure living in the Carribbean is nice - but are you going to fly out of there? I don't think so.

We all do what makes us happy and are satisfied with our lot in life - different courses for different horses as the saying goes - so if you don't think that you are happy with the offer by EY - then don't go - no one's making you. And for the others who are earning more in other airlines - well, then congratualtions - thanks for your offer - but you don't need to worry yourself about what I am earning. You can sleep easy at night...

Sorry - in saying this - I am not intentionally trying to offend someone - just trying to put some perspective on the whole issue....

Last edited by etihadlad; 11th May 2005 at 14:18.