PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Internet ATC Data Feeds (Was Safe Air Travel...?)
Old 10th May 2005, 20:48
BDiONU
Beady Eye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA001

In response to your last post. Do you recall what I said about attracting more flies with honey than vinegar?

Did I state that Wittering have a blanket acceptance of Spotters through the gates? I think I said (and correct me if I'm wrong) that I'm well aware of the requests made of Mil ATC Towers. You were a CWO? Your Mum must be very proud of you.
Indeed far be it from you to discuss how I spend the remaining majority of my working day. Obviously the time I've spent giving you an answer has been wasted time, which is unfortunate as most 'outsiders' visiting PPrune tend to treat those who bother to give a reply with some modicum of courtesy.

Moving map display on the headrest, quite what has that to do with ATC? Do you actually know what function ATC perform?

What does this debate have to do with 'flight safety'? What do spotters contribute to flight safety in a positive way as opposed to a negative one? I well recall having to despatch fire crews to crash gates to move on itinerant spotters from blocking them when notices are very clearly displayed. Although one ex-SATCO of mine, after politely remonstrating with some spotters who refused to move, sent the fire crews on a practice crash to a location on the far side of the obstructed crash gate. They very quickly moved out of the way although sustaining some damage to their vehicle.

If you had only about a million to spend and would put in the effort to get a change in the law (funding council etc.) and fund the engineering changes required then I'm absolutely certain NATS would do the necessary. I can be certain because I'd write the IP etc. for you and earn many smartie points for bringing in external business.

You seem to have had some scope creep though, moving maps versus ATC displays. If NATS took on your business we would need to see your requirements, ones which don't change because scope creep leads to increased costs as you (the customer) appear not to know precisely what it is you want. Is it a full radar feed with sound, is it a 'moving map' display, whatever that is in ATC terms? Can you tell us precisely what it is you want to see and hear?

Several posters have told you about the legalities involved in broadcasting certain frequencies, which you seem to chose to ignore. If you and your band of Spotters are prepared to mount (and fund) a legal challenge then I'm sure these could be resolved. But don't expect industry to do your legwork for you, there is no benefit to us.
As to why our transatlantic cousins allow it, who knows? We in the UK don't. Full stop (or should that be period )

Answer the question you plaintively cry. Well can you state the question precisely, then we might be in with a chance of answering it.

Lon More your CR comment is shocking! I may think that this man (youth?) is so dense that he bends light but I couldn't possibly write it

BD